L.E.A.R.N. serves as a sort of “catch-all” rescue for the state of Louisiana and the Ark-La-Tex. We are the only non-profit corporation (that we know of, at least) in Louisiana focusing on rescuing reptiles, amphibians and other exotic pets.
We take in injured or healthy:
- Indigenous reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates
- Exotic reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates
- Exotic small mammals, birds and aquatic animals on a case-by-case basis, when capacity permits.
If you would like to surrender an animal, or request assistance with finding a home for an animal, text or call Micha at (318) 773-9393 or send us an email.
We will come get the animal if needed and we are able to, or you may bring it to the shelter. We are located in Elm Grove, but you need an appointment first. Just call or text to set up the appointment.
Sometimes we will request that you give us a few days to try to find a new home for the animal with/for you before (possibly in lieu of) accepting the animal at our facility. Another reason we might recommend assisting with placement would be if you are unable to travel to the shelter.
IF L.E.A.R.N. has offered to assist you with placing the animal, what we need to have the best chance of finding a home is:
- A good photo of the animal. The better the photo, the more likely it will get responses. Multiple photos are ok. We recommend getting a good shot of the animal’s face.
- A brief bio of the animal. This can be whatever you want to share. We suggest including information such as: How old is it? What does it like to eat? How long have you had it? Where did you get it?
- Where the animal is located. Not “your house.” What city or town are you in. If it is not a large, well known city, please let people know where it is, eg. 1/2 hour east of Lake Charles.
- If you are able to travel to meet a potential adoptive home, how far are you able to travel? Are there certain days only that you are able to travel?
- How would you like to be contacted? We will be posting this information on Facebook, so it is up to you what you want to have shared. The more direct method, the faster we can find a home, but we understand potential security concerns. If needed, L.E.A.R.N. can serve as a go-between. Please be aware that this will greatly increase communication time.
- Send the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get to work on finding a home.
- Please note that, while L.E.A.R.N. does not feel that reasonable adoption fees are wrong to ask for, we do not charge adoption fees, or assist with re-homing animals that have a fee attached.
- If you are particularly concerned with wanting a pre-screened home, you can ask to be put in touch only with potential adoption placements that have gone through our application process. Be advised that this is the slowest route. Giving up a loved animal is difficult. The best thing may be to attempt a little counseling with us to see if we can help you find a way for you to keep it yourself.
If we have expressed that we can take your animal in, but you are unable to bring the animal to us, and are having difficulty meeting up with our intake coordinator, we also have several drop-off locations in Shreveport and Bossier City. The main one is Doggywood at 606 Stockwell Rd. in Bossier City across from the race track. Alternate locations include Pet Zone on Jewella Ave. in Shreveport or Benton Road Animal Health Clinic in Bossier (for emergency cases). You must get approval from our intake coordinator and bring your completed surrender form to use a drop off location.
There is a form needed for all intakes. You may fill it out in person, or you may print it out and bring it with the animal. Please note that form is for pet surrenders only. If you are surrendering a wild animal, visit our rehabilitation page.