Wildlife Rehabilitation

The pages in this section contain a lot of information and links to various resources for wildlife issues. Please take a moment to read through them carefully if you have an animal in need.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO REHABILITATE AN INJURED OR ORPHANED WILD ANIMAL WITHOUT A LICENSE AND TRAINING.  Not only is that activity illegal, it is dangerous for the human and animal involved.  For more info, visit: The Reason You Should Never Feed Injured or Orphaned Wildlife.

IF YOU HAVE A REPTILE OR AMPHIBIAN IN NEED of care within driving distance of Louisiana, click here. L.E.A.R.N. is a licensed rehabilitation facility. If you are not in Louisiana, there are links at the bottom of this page to direct you to one in your area. A vet can take in wildlife for emergency treatment in most states; if you cannot find a rehabber, try asking your rehabber or local pet stores who they know that sees exotics.

If you have a non-native (pet) animal in need of assistance within driving distance of Louisiana, click here.  L.E.A.R.N. takes in reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, exotic birds, mammals and aquatic animals at our facility.



If you have found a mammal or bird that is orphaned or obviously injured, the correct action is to bring it to a wildlife rehabilitator licensed for the type of animal needing help.  Alternately, a licensed veterinarian in Louisiana can legally take in the animal for up to 72 hours for transfer to a licensed rehabilitator, if necessary (many states have similar laws).

AGAIN, PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO REHABILITATE THE ANIMAL YOURSELF.  Not only could you get into a good bit of trouble, there are numerous aspects of wildlife rehabilitation that an untrained person cannot know, such as zoonotic diseases, diet, imprinting, fostering, release site choice and methods, and more.  Following the rules is better for you, and it is better for the animal.

L.E.A.R.N. recommends Wildlife Education and Rehabilitation of Louisiana for species in NW Louisiana that L.E.A.R.N. does not serve.  Click here to visit their website.  WERLA is typically unavailable outside of regular business hours.  Another good option in NW Louisiana is Janette Armstrong; her cell number is 318-218-9649.  You may need to leave a message or text and wait for a callback.  

If you have an animal that is not in distress, but you feel cannot remain where it is, such as a raccoon in your attic, the correct person to call in that scenario is a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator.  The list of operators can be found here.  Further information about resolving wildlife conflicts is available on the LDWF website.

Additional links:

Please note that wildlife rehabilitators are not funded by any government agency, but are just concerned individuals trying to assist wildlife, so please consider making a donation if you can.